Hindsight truly is 20/20…
Which is why as we’re kicking off a new year, I felt compelled to share with you the things that the Human Potential Advisors team learned this past year.
Growth is one of our core values. We value and promote innovation, continuous learning, and development — which is one of the many reasons that taking the time to reflect on your previous work is so critical to continuing to move the needle — personally, professionally, and as a team or organization.
What worked well for us at HPA in 2023?
- In January of 2023, I set a goal to optimize my custom created sessions. This has made a huge difference in our presentations. Fortunately, I was able to hire an artist with a bent for leadership development. Parks Schoen was a God-send. He helped start this process and then Megan Finnern came in and finished it with updated graphics, fonts, videos, and pictures. I love having these 10 valuable sessions completely overhauled!
- Next, HPA was fortunate enough to find Kristen Sands as a part-time resource. Kristen has been behind the scenes taking care of numerous details that make delivery more efficient. Oftentimes, a client only sees the 3-4 hour of a presentation, but the prep work beforehand can be 40-80 hours. Kristen is incredibly detail-oriented and has taken many things off my plate. I love having Kristen as part of my team!
- Referrals made our year. I am extremely grateful to clients that speak well of us to others. Not being a natural salesperson, referrals feel like such a gift! Thank you to all for helping make our year a success.
What didn’t work well for us in 2023?
- Classes. We tried to launch 3 different classes for which employees could use their business L&D stipends — and they failed miserably. We had people sign up, pay their money, and never show up for the class. It simply baffled me! So, as we move into 2024, we have moved away from offering individual classes.
- Too many sessions in a week. I am learning a very valuable lesson in that my brain can only deliver so much within a short time-period. One week in 2023, I delivered 14 sessions. That can’t happen in the future. As we move into 2024, I am going to be much more intentional and careful with scheduling.
- Trying to do it all. After 8 years, I can honestly say that I am finally learning my lesson. Selling, writing proposals, instructional design, delivering presentations, and following up with clients simply takes more than one person. I am thankful for my four-person team who each bring valuable strengths to support and deliver our services — which help develop the potential each of us carries within ourselves.
At the end of the day, 2023 was a great year for Human Potential Advisors. We know that everyone has potential and we absolutely loved training 2500+ people last year. Your development and growth inspire me to keep the flame burning and to keep delivering. Cheers to a new and great 2024!
Check out our “State of Human Potential Advisors” infographic to learn more about what our team accomplished in 2023.